03 Mar 2014
Tutorial - Cupcakes
Happy Monday, my lovelies!
So guess what? Yesterday was my birthday! I am now the big twenty-four, and have realized that birthdays aren’t as exciting once you’re past twenty-one. ;) However, I had a lot of fun on my birthday! My hubby and I went shopping, went out to eat, and got to see Miyazaki’s last film “The Wind Rises”! All in all it was a pretty perfect birthday. :)
So I thought this this week we would keep with the birthday theme. Let’s get started with some birthday/dessert themed nails:
NOTE: There are a few ways that I tried doing these nails, and I’m going to take you through them one at a time. First let’s go through the steps that apply to all three styles:
Step 1: Supplies! For this manicure, no matter which style you pick you will need:
- Clear base and top coat
- Nail polish for the frosting (I chose white)
- Nail polish for the cupcake wrapper (I chose a light purple, because purple is my favorite color and it’s my birthday!)
- Red nail polish for the cherry
Optional supplies include:
- Nail polish in multiple colors (for the sprinkles)
- A toothpick or small paintbrush (to apply the sprinkles)
- A black sharpie and a sharpie that’s a few shades darker than your cupcake wrapper color (I used a dark purple for my sharpie)
Step 2: Prep it! Clean and shape your nails in the style you prefer, then paint on your clear base coat.
Step 3: Paint it! Paint the lower half of your nails (by the tips) with your cupcake wrapper color.
Step 4: Paint it (again)! Using your frosting color polish, paint the upper half in three separate strokes which will create the curves at the bottom of the frosting.
Step 5: Put a cherry on top! Now take your red polish and, using either the brush or a medium to large dotting tool, paint a large red dot in the upper center of your “frosting”.
And that completes the prep work! Now let’s see how to finish these manicures for each of the three ways.
Cupcakes with Sprinkles and No Lines!
This part is really easy, all you have to do is add sprinkles! Take your toothpick and paint tiny lines of your sprinkle colors around the “cherry”.
Seal your mani with a top coat, clean up the edges and you’re done!
Now let’s move on to method two:
Cupcakes with Sprinkles and Lines!
For this method, you just go a few steps beyond the “sprinkles with no lines” method. Seal your manicure with the top coat, and then once the polish is completely dry break out the sharpies!
Mark around the edge of the frosting with the black sharpie.
Put 3-4 vertical lines with the purple sharpie across the “wrapper”.
Clean up the edges if you haven’t already and voila!
And finally, the method I ended up sticking with:
Cupcakes with No Sprinkles and Lines!
Follow the same method, except skip the sprinkles (obviously) and outline the cherries with black sharpie if you’d like.
So which style is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!
I hope that you’ve enjoyed this tutorial! And I hope it wasn’t too long for you ;)
Have a fabulous week, my lovely readers! I’ll see you next time <3
Nail Polishes Used:
- essie in “Marshmallow” (#024)
- Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in “Lacey Lilac” (#270)
- Sinful Colors Professional in “Ruby Ruby” (#369)
- Wet n Wild fast dry in “Sage in the City” (#225C)
- Wet n Wild fast dry in “Saved by the Blue” (#230C)
- Sinful Colors Professional in “24/7″ (#920)
- Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in “Mellow Yellow” (#360)
- Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in “Sun Kissed” (#150)