15 Apr 2013
Tutorial - Tuxedos!
Happy Monday everybody!
So prom/formal season is upon us, and I figured that now is the perfect time to show you how to do a manicure that was SUPER popular last year (I’m so behind the times haha):
I absolutely love doing this manicure, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
Step 1: Supplies! For this manicure, you will need:
- Clear base & top coat
- White polish (for the tuxedo “shirt”)
- Black polish (for the “coat”, “buttons”, and “bow tie”) – I also did pink polish for one funky tuxedo ;)–
- A sheet of paper/plastic (for dripping polish onto)
- Toothpicks (for drawing the bow tie)
- Dotting tool (for the buttons)
Step 2: Prep it! Clean and buff your nails in the style you prefer, then paint on the clear base coat.
Step 3: Paint it! The first color you’re going to do is the color of the tuxedo jacket. So for my nails this means I did black and pink first.
Step 4: Tape it! Once the color is COMPLETELY dry, take two pieces of tape and cross them over each other to form a wedge. Take the tape wedge and attach it to the top of your nail so that the “lapels” of the coat are covered.
Step 5: Paint it! Take your white polish and paint the nail. After painting, remove the tape.
Step 6: Buttons! Drip some of the color polish onto your piece of paper. Dip your dotting tool into the polish, and make two buttons in the center of each nail. (To see how to make your own dotting tool, click here.)
Step 7: Bow ties! Once the buttons are dry, take your toothpick and draw the ties at the bottom of your nails (closest to the cuticle).
Step 8: Finish it! Seal your manicure with the clear top coat, clean up the edges, and you’re done!
I absolutely love this manicure, and when you do it you will get SO many compliments! I hope you’ve all enjoyed this tutorial, have a great day and see you next time! <3
Nail polishes used:
- Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in “Black Out” (#370)
- Sinful Colors Professional in “24/7″ (#920)
- Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear in “White On” (#300)